Sunday, February 28, 2010

Homemade Whole Wheat Pitas


These pita breads look delicious - and they are. If you have read my posts, you know that I love to bake. When I found a recipe for pitas I had to try to make them. While the end result is wonderful, the process is more costly than going to a local bakery outlet and purchasing eight whole wheat pitas for 59 cents.

The recipe I used asked for 3 cups of whole wheat flour, oil, salt, a large, plastic resealable bag (ziploc, hefty or glad), a baking stone and water. The bread had to rest in the refrigerator overnight. Pitas were then baked in a 500 degree oven.

I love the fact that I know everything that goes into my baking projects, but when you do the cost comparison, the bakery outlet version wins hands down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta agree, sometimes buying it is cheaper than diy.

Anonymous said...

re: pitas, at least you know what is in it, the store ones sometimes have more in them than what you want. Simple is best in the long run.
claire