Monday, August 10, 2009

What to do with Yellow Cucumbers


A couple cucumbers from my garden got away from me and turned yellow. Happens to the best of us. You know, the large leaf that's hiding a large vegetable like zucchini or tomatoes or cucumbers. Growing up, we would never use yellow cucumbers because the taste would be too strong. For some reason, I felt that throwing away the yellow cucumbers from my garden would be extremely wasteful. So I searched the internet for recipes.

One recipe was for a sweet relish. Now I never liked sweet pickles so sweet relish was out of the question. One recipe added the cucumbers to a soup with octopus. No octopus in my refrigerator at the moment so that recipe was nixed. The third recipe was an Indian recipe for yellow cucumber curry, Gunter style, called Dosakaya Koora. I made a few adjustments and the dish was delisioso!

There are 2 parts to the recipe; the koora and and tadka. The koora consists of 1 large yellow cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped into bite size pieces, 1 medium onion, 2 green chilli's cut into 1/4 inch pieces, 2 tomatoes, 1 cup yogurt (I used non-fat and it worked fine), 1 tablespoon Frank's Red Hot sauce. The tadka is 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon dried mustard, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon curry powder, and 1 teaspoon Frank's Red Hot sauce.

Here's the fun part. And it's so easy. Heat the oil on medium heat. Add the tadka. Add onions and chilli's. Stir in tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients except the yogurt. After a couple minutes, stir in yogurt and turn off heat. Serve over rice or lentils.

This is truly a one-dish wonder. Perfect for a hot day.

No comments: