Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Do It Yourself Bailout

I apologize for not posting for a a little over a week. More volunteer work. This time it was for the Accounting Aid Society as an income tax preparer.

After hearing stories of how people lost their jobs and are living with family members to get back on track, I thought that our economy hadn't taken a turn for the better.

Then I heard a broadcast on National Public Radio on "The Takeaway" program. It was about taking charge of your financial situation - the do it yourself bailout. Personal financial expert Beth Kopliner talks about determining what's important, setting priorities for saving and more in the weeks to come.

Today's program focused on little things you have done that have saved you money in this recession. For example, I have budgeted five dollars a week for food. That may not seem like a lot, but I actually have eaten very well on that budget. This week I spent 99 cents for a ten pound bag of Michigan potatoes, $1.58 for 16 ounces of mushrooms and 79 cents for a head of cauliflower. That comes to $3.36 out of pocket. The remainder of the money goes into next week's food fund so if there is a sale on cheese or whatever, I can afford to buy some.

What have you done to save money? Let me know, I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I love "The Takeaway" :)

It is the American way to live beyond one's means. People don't like to admit that though.

Hmmm . . . while I consider myself a savvy food shopper, I can't claim to get by on $5/week. However if I was forced to get by on less, I would probably start by eating the canned goods that are stockpiled in my cupboards. That would last me for half a year :)

In all seriousness, I've become a clever coupon cutter. I've always shopped the sales, but now I don't buy something w/o a coupon. We are buying fewer non-essentials and trying to get by on what we have. I've gotten good at putting things back and not making impulse purchases. Driving used cars that are paid for helps us put money away in the rainy day fund. Looking for deals, and just being smart helps save "fun" money. Even in a bad economy, ya gotta have a little fun ;)

The Library is GREAT for FREE books, movies and CD's. Plus they have something called the Museum Pass, which lets you get into area attractions free of charge.