Saturday, June 14, 2008

Racing after Rabbits

Puppy was hanging out in the backyard, sniffing plants and weaving throughout the garden areas. I was in the back portion of the lot, weeding...again. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a rabbit by the fence. Puppy was too interested in spiders and grubs to take any notice. Then Zoe realized there was an intruder on her property. She sprang into action racing after the rabbit. They flew through the yard. At one point, right in front of me. So close, I thought the rabbit would run into me!

Now, this is a pretty normal day in my yard except I left the patio door open. Wide open. Too far for me to run and close it before the chase began. Lucky for me it ended with the rabbit running under the fence and across the road. While I have no fear that any animal or insect that crosses Zoe's path in the house would meet with an untimely death, it's the turmoil the would ensue that brings terror into my heart. Broken lamps, papers and rabbit poop everywhere...you know it would happen. Either I need to drastically reduce the amount of "stuff" in my house to the sparse level or close the back door.

Seems like a simple choice, doesn't it. Problem is puppy ran into the glass door and had a concussion once before. Since that incident, I started to leave the door open. I think it's time for more puppy training.

Starting tomorrow, puppy will review the "sit, stay" command. Guess I have been lax of late.

No comments: