Saturday, June 21, 2008

Unusual Weather this Week


There is a saying in Michigan, "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes, it'll change."
That saying sums up this week's weather.

Temperatures were chilly at the beginning of this week. I even rooted out some sweaters to wear during the day. The mornings started in the fifty degree range and warmed up to the mid-sixties. Very unusual considering that summer would officially begin on Friday.

On Thursday, I volunteered to spread mulch around trees at a nearby church. It poured rain for a half hour after I arrived at the church. When I was done with the mulch, I started trimming boxwoods only to look up and see a double rainbow in the southeastern sky. Gorgeous!

Today is the first full day of summer and it brought warmer weather. And thunderstorms. I have been in four storms today. One storm had five minutes of hail. What was unusual was the hail was limited to my area. People I called just a few miles around never saw any hail just the rain. There was enough hail to cover the bedliner of the truck.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association has an interesting article on the weather. Click HERE to read their latest report.

No comments: