Monday, January 4, 2010

Pumpkin Pasta


Doesn't this sound scary; pumpkin and pasta with pumpkin pie spice. It's actually very tasty. I got the recipe from the November, 2009 issue of "Parents" magazine.

This fast and fiber-rich entree has as much iron as a burger and just 308 calories per serving. What prompted me to experiment was I am trying to eat foods from my pantry rather than stockpiling. I had all the ingredients and thought, "Why not try the dish?".

I made some slight modifications to the original recipe including using slightly more pasta, an onion and skim milk.

Recipe for Pumpkin Pasta:
Cook 13.25 ounce box of whole wheat pasta (like rotini). Drain and return to pot, covering to keep pasta warm.

Meanwhile, in a large frying pan or 5 quart saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Add a small, chopped onion or 1/2 teaspoon onion powder. Cook onions until transparent. Whisk in 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, a 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Continue to cook for 4 minutes uncovered.

Mix pasta and sauce. Serve in bowls and top pasta with parsley and grated parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I bet it was tasty!