Monday, January 17, 2011

Financial Fast

Washington Post columnist, Michelle Singletary wrote an article on imposing a financial fast for a month on your money. She wrote the piece last year and it pertains to anyone trying to reign in their finances.

During the 30 days of the fast, only shop for essential items. Buy food you need to survive, hygiene products or work related necessities. That means wear a sweater you have rather than purchasing the latest trend to go with an outfit.

Singletary also recommends no window shopping or shopping on the internet. Don't even tempt yourself during this self-imposed frugality. Throw away the ads from the stores and don't open a magazine.

This will be tough for me. I like to browse through store aisles and flip the pages of magazines to get ideas. I am confident I can complete this task and be better with my money after the 30 days.

No comments: