Monday, May 26, 2008

Thank You to Those Who Sacrificed


Today is Memorial Day in the United States. It's a national holiday commemorating, according to wikipedia, "U.S. men and women who perished while in military service to their country. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War, it was expanded after World War I to include casualties of any war or military action."

I rode my bike the cemetery and placed flags on the graves of some relatives that served in World War I and World War II. The local chapter of the veterans of foreign wars was there, marching to a small podium. There were so many people tidying grave sites, and planting flowers. Families were gathered. It reminded me of how people in Mexico gather at cemeteries and picnic. It's a celebration that we remember these individuals and the impact they had and have on our lives. Happy Memorial Day.

No comments: