Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Searchlights


Each night, before I went to bed, I would let puppy out to do her job. Aside from relieving herself, she also patrolled the perimeter for anything out of the ordinary. Literally, dog would walk the length and breadth of the yard checking for vermin and any unwanted creatures.

One night she began barking and running diagonally across the yard. From corner to corner Zoe raced, "arf, arf, arf, arf, arf." Suddenly the barking stopped and she began walking toward the house. Mid-step puppy began vocalizing again, "arf, arf, arf, arf, arf," running full speed like a greyhound across the other diagonal. Then she would stop again.

"Zoe!" I called out. "Zoe, get in here". I whistled for the dog and she ran towards me then stopped and started running crisscross again. This prompted me to go outside to bring puppy in, by the collar if necessary. "Come on girl, let's go, come along," I said firmly. It was then I looked up into the night sky and saw the white search lights darting to and fro and realized Zoe was chasing the lights.

Guess she liked chasing lightening bugs and moon beams, too.

No comments: