Friday, July 29, 2011

"Watch" Dog



Ever have someone watch you constantly. Each move you make tracked even when you think they are sleeping. That was Zoe.

You would swear she was asleep and suddenly her eyes would open every few minutes as if verifying where I was and what I was doing. Watching over every movement. Go to the bathroom, she waited outside. Walk into another room, puppy was right behind me. Go to the mailbox and she was by the door. If I talked to the postal worker too long she began to bark. I was her food source and dog knew a good thing when she saw it. Puppy wasn't going to let me stray too far from her side.

If I would go down the basement I knew I could only stay there long enough to start a load of laundry before I would hear her nails clicking down the steps to find me. Once down the basement, dog would patrol for varmints and insects keeping the area clean. When I was ready to go back upstairs, puppy would lead the way racing up the stairs to the top. It became a game for us to see who could reach the landing first.

One day, my neighbor asked me to watch their townhouse while they went away for the weekend- water the flowers and pick up their mail. Since I lived next door this was an easy task. The first day went by without a hitch. The second day I noticed something through the window on my kitchen table as I was watering the neighbor's plants in their backyard. It was Zoe. She was standing on the table straining to get a better look at what I was doing.

"Get down!" I yelled. "Get down now!" Did she? No. Dog was bound and determined to see what I was doing. If I left the yard it was her job to stay vigilant and alert people as to my plight. I ran back to the house, through the patio door and into the kitchen. She jumped off the table, onto a bench and ran over to me tail wagging and waiting for a treat. "You are a naughty girl, naughty", I said. "Five minutes" to which puppy replied by bringing me a ball. She did not feel she did anything wrong and would not go under the table. Why should she when she just came from on top of the same table.

Zoe was the queen of all she surveyed.

No comments: